Crocheted (and repurposed) kitchen mat


I started a new crochet project from last night.  As you can see, it's still a work in progress, but I'm hoping to finish this into a kichen mat, sometime during this week.


It started out like this, using the largest crochet hook that I own.   Working in round (oval) and increasing the number of stitches randomly (but symmetrically) on both sides.  



Instead of using regular yarns, I'm using (handcut) fabric strip yarns, made out of these...

old sheets and pillow cases...

and used (kids') clothings...


For example, the above pair of kids' pants will look like this after being cut into strips and wind up into a (yarn) ball.



Here are the images of the crocheted kitchen mats that I've made in the past.  I use these mats everyday in our kitchen.

 I like these repurposed/recycled mats because they can be machine washed and dried, and they're pretty comfy to put our feet on.  And most of all, they just make me feel great about the fact that I made use of old sheets and clothings that are otherwise donated (or worse, thrown away)!




Call me a penny pinching "fru-GAL", and  I'll take it as a compliment :P  Ha ha!

I will post the finished mat as soon as it's done. 
Hope you have a good week!


4 comments:

Grace @ WhimsyLoft dot com said...

it is very lovely! i've been reading so many post on crochet lately, makes me want to pick up my crochet needles... but i'm so rusty at it already. hugz!

Unknown said...

Hi WhimsyLoft :) Yes, go pick up your crochet needles!! I self taught how to crochet only a year or two ago, and I've been enjoying ever since. For me, crocheting is so addicting that once I start one row, I just can't stop!

PY said...

Hi, Amy ,this repurpose or recycle idea is one of the earth friendly thing you have done. Great work !

Thanks for sharing. I am inspired by your idea . I will definitely crochet this type of mat one day, when I have time.......:)

Unknown said...

Thanks, PY! Well, I was just trying to save money here by using recycled fabric yarns (instead of buying ordinary yarns), but I guess I ended up being earth friendly, too, which makes me feel even better ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails